• Any FAA License may carry a Glider Rating. Endorsements are Aero-tow, Ground-tow, Motor-launch
  • To go solo: [Student Pilot Certificate, starting from scratch. 1 week-2 months. $400-$1,000]
    • Age 14, speak English, state no medical defects on application, obtain blank Student Certificate
    • Plan on a roughly 25 flight (aero-tow) or 40-flight (ground-tow) training sequence in a two-seater
    • Pass a pre-solo written test on FAA regs, flight characteristics, operational limitations
    • Receive instruction from a CFI-G in all areas listed in FAR 61.87 and be endorsed ready for solo
  • To fly passengers: [Private Pilot Certificate, starting from solo. 1 week-2 months. $400-$1,000]
    • Age 16, speak English, state no medical defects on application
    • Log 20 flights (10 solo) and 10 hours (2 solo) in gliders, instruction per FAR 61.107 and 61.39
    • Pass the standard FAA Private Pilot--Glider Knowledge Test on topics in FAR 61.105
    • Pass a Practical Test (oral and flight) with an FAA Designated Examiner
  • Licensed Airplane pilots often solo after 10 flights, add the Rating after 10 solos, 3 hr, and a Practical Test
  • To become a soaring pilot, follow SSA's ABC program: (Charles & Anne Lindbergh were C #9,10)
    • A Badge: go solo. B Badge: soar 1/2 hour. C Badge: soar 1 hour, spot-land, soaring instruction
    • Bronze Badge: soar 2 hours, simulate off-field landings, pass exam on Cross-Country techniques

Training (see FAA Regulations, SSA "Soaring Flight Manual". No 'power' experience needed)

Joomla! Debug Console


Profile Information

Memory Usage

Database Queries